1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Cheerleaders Not Allowed to Wear Uniforms to School

By August 28, 2008

An Ohio high school recently announced that their cheerleaders could not wear their uniforms to school because their skirts were too short and did not conform to the school's dress code (shorts or skirts must be no more than 3 inches above the knee). In previous years this was not a problem as the dress code did not specify the length of garments, but this year it was clarified and now the cheerleaders are finding themselves unable to wear their uniforms during class time. So, what do you think? Should an exception be made for the cheerleaders and should they be allowed to wear their uniforms? Comment below.

More About Cheerleaders' Dress Codes and Behavior

Comments

August 28, 2008 at 7:26 pm
(1) Vanessa says:

I say yes
they should be able to wear their uniform….
Hello! their cheerleaders…
cheerleaders not wearing their uniform to school sucks.
i would have a fit if my squad couldnt wear our uniforms to school
its part of being a cheerleader and showing spirit & pride for you school.Duhh!!

August 29, 2008 at 7:52 pm
(2) Bryon Scott says:

No. If the cheer outfits are too short for the school dress-code they should comply just as the rest of the school does. Being a cheer leader means you are just that: a leader. Leaders should set the example, not be exceptions to it. Creating an exception would be the same as creating a privileged class.

August 31, 2008 at 9:51 am
(3) Colorado Coach says:

We have the same issue at our school. And this is how we resolved it.

The girls wear either their warm-up pants with their shell (winter months). Their warm-ups are the same double knit as their uniforms. They also have cute form fitting polos with our cheer logo, (I got them out of a volleyball uniform catalog) with jeans or navy pants.

I just decided that I would find something cute for them to wear during school hours. The squad actually prefers to wear the polos with jeans. They said, (1)it is more convenient for school, (2) warmer, (3)they look like the other athletes (jerseys and pants), and (4) they are also less afraid to spill something on their uniform during the day.

We also wear the polos when traveling to and from events or doing volunteer work in the community.

So we decided to be a leader within the school guidelines. And cute to boot!

Hope this helps.

August 31, 2008 at 5:23 pm
(4) Melanie says:

That is done at the school where my daughter attend’s school. I dont see why they cant change clothes before there pep rally. Our sponsor now has got them clothes they could wear during the day. I think that just shows school spirit by wearing their uniform. When I was a cheerleader in school it never caused a problem.

August 31, 2008 at 5:30 pm
(5) Nicole says:

Well the don’t want the cheerleaders to wear their uniforms to school because they are to short based on the school dress code. Well at my school, the dress code says no tank tops. However, they don’t tell the Girls or Boys Basketball team they can’t wear their jersey but they are tank tops and break the school dress code. I know a game is not during school but it still is a school function and the players are representing our school.

The cheerleaders should be allowed to wear their uniforms. They wear them to cheer. If they don’t want them to wear them to school, then schools better step up and give support to the cheerleaders and purchase them new uniforms they feel fit the dress code. And while they are at it, make sure they look at the other sports.

August 31, 2008 at 5:37 pm
(6) so cal cheer coach says:

all of our athletes wear their jersey top and /or bottom to school during their season on game day (except water polo, wrestling and swim). It’s great for school pride! I think it all depends on where you live….some states are super conservative while others don’t enforce a dress code at all. My cheerleaders wear campwear to school for AWAY games and change into uniform later and wear uniform or warm-ups to school for HOME games. EVERYONE knows who the cheerleaders, football players, wrestlers are whether they are in uniform or not so as long as you’re in the colors of your school… it’s all good.

August 31, 2008 at 8:32 pm
(7) Sarah says:

Ok, so I think that the cheerleaders should be allowed to wear their shells to school with either warm up pants or jeans what ever works for them. In my school all the sports wear our jerseys to school game day whether it’s home or away, so i think the cheerleaders should be able to do the same and if the school says the skirts are to short then don’t wear them just wear their shells… also another alternative would be to wear their skirts over their warm up pants, this is sometimes what we do during our games at the end of the football season when it is getting colder out

August 31, 2008 at 8:53 pm
(8) Karen says:

I think if the school has uniforms that do not meet dress code (ie too short or tanks) then the school should either make the exception or take the responsibility to replace the uniforms to make them longer and thicker straps. My daughter spent last year having to wear pants under her cheer skirt and a jacket over her cheer top during school hours and it was ridiculous!

August 31, 2008 at 8:54 pm
(9) Becky says:

We had this problem at our school. But rather than fighting it and causing a big deal we compromised. In order to still be identified as a squad and show school spirit we wore khakis and maroon polo shirts that had our schools name stitched into it with ‘Cheerleader’ on the back. We look more professional and we were taken a lot more serious by the school board because we took the time to figure out a solution not cause a problem. We still wore our bows and sometimes our under armor if it was cold.

August 31, 2008 at 9:52 pm
(10) Carly says:

Our cheerleaders wear their warm-up pants under their skirts and their liners under their shells. it’s cute and comfy and they still get to wear their uniforms!!

August 31, 2008 at 10:00 pm
(11) Kelsey says:

I think that there should be an exception as long as it’s not totally unapropriate.

September 1, 2008 at 1:20 am
(12) Ray says:

At my school, We have a dress code that says we can’t wear skirts or shorts no more 3 inches above our knees and our skirts are waaay shorter than that. So we just wear our uniform tops and jeans to school. It abides by the dress code and we still get to show our school spirit and team uniformity.

September 1, 2008 at 3:08 pm
(13) Leksy says:

I think that they should get new uniforms that meet the standards of the dress code. Cheer uniforms don’t have to be a certain length.

September 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm
(14) kfid says:

GET A GREAT WARM UP SUIT AND WEAR THAT TO SCHOOL. OR WEAR THE SHELL WITH CAPRIS OR JEANS IF THOSE ARE ACCEPTABLE. IT REALLY SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM, THERE ARE MANY WAYS AROUND THIS FOR YOUR TEAM. AND THEY WILL STILL LOOK LIKE CHEERLEADERS..

September 2, 2008 at 9:03 am
(15) Tori says:

okay . thats like so unfair . cheerleaders should sooooo be able to wear there uniforms to school

if i wasent i would totally likeee diee

September 2, 2008 at 9:13 am
(16) Lauren says:

They can always do what we did in high school after they implemented the dress code, wear pants either underneath the skirts or instead of. Most squads have warms ups, so just wear the pants from the that. Voila, problem solved.

September 2, 2008 at 12:30 pm
(17) michelle brown says:

Our cheerleaders too have had to forgo the wearing of uniforms…Competition uniforms are having to be shorter and shorter as the tumbling becomes more advanced…Our girls were very disappointed. Isn’t one of the perks of being a cheerleader wearing the uniform? I think exceptions should be made in this case.

September 3, 2008 at 7:46 am
(18) Abby Lynn says:

I think to get school dress code okay uniforms. Hey I am a cheerleader here and I love to wear my uniform proud i think that if the uniform doesn’t fit dress code find a way so that all the cheerleaders can show their school spirt and suport every team! GO TEAM!

September 3, 2008 at 7:01 pm
(19) Sheridan Webster says:

In New Zealand Cheerleading is not as big as in the states, our girls belong to All Star teams outside of schools only a small number of schools have a cheerleading team, the school I teach at is just starting a team, but that is my influence as a teacher. High Schools here in NZ have uniforms so students don’t have a choice what they wear. We do have special badges and otherways to recognise our students achievements but I think we avoid a lot of issues by refusing to let our students single each other out as being ‘above’ others because they are in a team. Our students still strive to be in the top teams and are still looked up to by other students but in an inspirational way not in such a heirchical manner that encourages bullying and alienation.

September 3, 2008 at 9:24 pm
(20) Kaelynn says:

i say yes

as a cheerleader at my school i say that they should be able to because it shows spirit for your school even though it may not be dress code an exseption would be exseptable for that purpous. it really is a huge hassle to have to chand and get ready after school and be on time to games.

so yes we should

September 4, 2008 at 9:21 am
(21) Alyssa says:

I think they should be allowed to wear their uniforms. However, their uniforms need to be appropriate. There needs to be a compromise made. Either don’t were the uniforms during school hours, or add an inch!

September 4, 2008 at 12:33 pm
(22) Cheer Vet says:

I remember 20+ years ago when I was a cheerleader, I had to slap a boy for touching me under my skirt. He never did that again! lol After that, our squad decided to go with warm-ups (pants and jackets). It was much less a destraction and great for travel. They still do it today. Go “TIGERS”

September 4, 2008 at 2:45 pm
(23) Jenna says:

I think it’s a great move. I always felt sort of dumb wearing my uniform to school on game days. I guess it’s to promote school spirit, but really all it does is get guys to look at your legs and body and doesn’t follow most high school dress codes. I mean, the drill team doesn’t wear their uniform to school on game days. The band doesn’t either. And where I lived, the football team/basketball team/whatever, usually wore collared shirts and ties on game days. It’s not a bad idea. Although, I think the big stink about it is that it ends a tradition that has been carried through many decades.

September 4, 2008 at 9:02 pm
(24) AmBam88 says:

At my high school we weren’t allowed to wear our skirts to school. We had to wear our shells and warm-ups. I think it doesn’t make sence. If you can wear them to an assembly or a game why not school.

September 4, 2008 at 9:19 pm
(25) Queen Cheer..Duh!! says:

PERSONALLY I THNK THTS SO UNFAIR…
I DNT THNK THT THE CHEERLEADERS @ THR SCHOOL SHLD BE UNABLE TO WEAR THR UNIFORMS..
IT SHOWS A SIGN OF SPIRIT AND A GROUP OF PPLE WHO LOVE THER SKEWL …
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG W/ SHOWING SKEWL SPIRIT JUST B/CUZ THERE SKIRTS ARE “TOO SHORT”!!!

September 4, 2008 at 9:59 pm
(26) firepoint525 says:

I don’t see why this is an issue. Girls have been wearing short skirts to cheer in for 40 years now! Check out the photo that I linked to above.

September 6, 2008 at 8:18 am
(27) Missie says:

If it is such a huge ordeal then the school should replace the skirts so that they conform to the school dress code. That way there would be no other issues, when I was a cheerleader in high school the skirts were never as short as they are now. I think that the skirts are getting a little risque, so maybe they need to think about that.

January 3, 2009 at 8:39 am
(28) Wendell Ross says:

Dad not understanding:please help. I paid for my daughter to be on the highschool cheerleading sqaud.She performed at the football games,parades,pep rally’s etc. My problem is that she was told that she was too short to compete with the team in the last competition. My daughter is the shortiest on on the team. However she was tall enough to do other activities so why was she not able to compete. she said something about her base was too short. But my money and the time spent was not. what do you all think?

January 8, 2009 at 10:49 am
(29) topcheerleader94 says:

Okay im a cheerleading and im in the 9th

grade i attend cass high skool and this is

how we solved that problem, we asked the

principle could we call a board meeting and

discuss it with them, and r principal said

yes when we was in there we had asked if we

could were r half body suits with r shell top

and if we could wear r briefs and skirts and

capris up under it and there u have it. the

board said yes and we have it r way now. AND

PLUS THE CHEERLEADERS AND FOOTBALL RUN THE

SKOOL ANYWAY………… EVERYBODY KNOWS

THAT!!! THAT SHOULD SOLVE THAT LIL PROBLEM

April 10, 2009 at 3:36 am
(30) Phoebe says:

This is just silly. Talk about sending our children mixed messages…

April 10, 2009 at 3:37 am
(31) Missie says:

August 10, 2009 at 1:02 pm
(32) Andrew Manson says:

Dress-code Shmess-code, Who Cares about That, It’s Just against the ACLU’s Restrictions!
What does Dressing Appropiatly have Anything to do with School work or learning, it Doesn’t effect the Students’ Concentration on Work, making Dress-codes Increasingly lleagle in some states unless it is important, like going to a Fancy Restraunt.

So The dress-code should never be used in school!

On hot Days, a Cherleader should Wear their Uniforms to School to Cool them down, not make them wear the same hot sweaty clothes to practace and burn up.

Besides, some Schools Banned Shorts all together for the boys, so you would expect boys to appear in those schools wearing skirts in protest.
Also School Dress Codes are Totally Sexist, and also burn down the American religion of freedom, so Boys and girls should have a right to wear what ever they want to school, including their Cheerleading uniforms, not wear what the school wants them to wear and burn up.

August 10, 2009 at 11:49 pm
(33) ana says:

i def think cheerleaders should get to wear the skirts and polos or whatever there uniform is. Being a cneerleader, most people dont look at you as an athlete, so wearing your uniform makes you feel up to par with all the other athletes. Its also fun for the cheerleaders, they get to look cute while showing there pride for there school!

November 20, 2009 at 10:24 am
(34) CheerleaderLCA says:

I say yes, they should. They do at my school because it tells us if there is a game and shows school spirit. If the school thinks they are too short, then they should order them loger.

December 1, 2009 at 6:18 pm
(35) Y0NiGG4h says:

i should say no and i dont know why beacuase i am boy O.o

March 23, 2010 at 11:41 pm
(36) Jamie says:

are school has very long cheerleading uniforms but the cheerleaders roll them up to show more, it’s sick.

August 3, 2010 at 11:29 am
(37) Brittany says:

Okay, ladies: First off, I come from Conway, Arkansas. Our skirts are as short as they could possibly order them. Most school cheer squads are wearing similar uniforms. Here’s my case, from the view of a high school junior:
Girls aren’t allowed to show cleavage, correct? Why? In high school, hormones and imaginations run rampant with fantasies. (Let’s not sugar coat it, dearies!) They don’t need the help of some busty girl wearing a low-cut top. We have this regulation to help us focus on school work. The team has the warm-ups, just like our colour guard and similar teams do (those in skirts, that is.) Why can those not be worn? I’m on colour guard, and warm ups are much more comfortable. Have you ever sat down on a cool morning on a cold seat in shorts/a skirt? “I can handle the cold,” they say. Well, how easy is it, especially if you’re a tomboy, to forget the skirt and bend over to pick something up? Our cheer squad started doing that for kicks… That’s why the skirts went over so badly. (Along with their provocative dance routines…) Times have changed, skirts have gotten shorter (blame global warming, why don’t you?) and the dances have gotten… er, let’s leave that topic alone. But the point of the matter is, there are much more modest things to wear to school that provide comfort and a little less of a distraction to the “male audience.”
Girls:
I’m sorry if you wear them for looks. And, judging by massive misspellings and poor grammar, I’m just guessing you do. Have your coach invest in some team pants: we have basic sweatpants with CHS CHEER written down the side for winter months. These are great for showing school spirit! They’re not very warm, so they’re even comfortable in summer. (Desperate in gym I donned a pair. Very comfy!) In the winter, wearing tights under them is a nice way to heat things up. Just a few suggestions.

July 9, 2011 at 5:30 pm
(38) Natalie says:

Ok so im a cheerleader and i say yes!!!!!! cheerleaders should be able to wear their uniforms in school! its just like football player wearing their jersey to school. the cheerleaders before them were allowed to wear their uniforms and its unfair to take away that privelage for the recent cheerleaders…soooooooo YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!