1. Sports

Out of Control Cheer Mom

By September 1, 2008

Is what squad your daughter is on so important that you'd physically hit someone and risk battery charges? Obliviously it was for one Forsyth County, GA mother. Michelle Rains, 39, was upset when her 9 year old daughter was not placed on the squad that cheered for her 11 year old brother's football team. An argument ensued and Rains allegedly hit Nancy Cunningham, president of the Sharon Springs Cheerleading Association. According to reports, all this transpired at a clinic in front of 240 cheerleaders ages 5 to 12. So, what do you think? Was this cheer mom out of control? Leave a comment below.

Related Articles and Information

Comments

September 7, 2008 at 5:24 pm
(1) Leslie says:

Unfortunately, as coaches and gym owners we run into these type of parents all the time. Its flat out ridiculous and uncalled for. Just this week I had a mom get upset because I would no longer excuse her daughter to leave early from all star senior team competition cheerleading. I had allowed her to leave early all summer, but told her she would need to make car pooling arrangements beginning in September. She threw a fit in front of the entire squad stating “Well if I don’t leave now, then I will be out of a job. Then A* won’t be able to come to cheer and I will make sure YOU are out of a job.” and then stormed out. Funniest part yet, at the conclusion of practice several of the girls went to Subway (two buildings over) to eat and guess who was there? That student and her mother. Hmmm. Yep, its sad.

September 7, 2008 at 6:33 pm
(2) Kelsey says:

I think she was definitely out of control.

September 7, 2008 at 6:59 pm
(3) Mary says:

We don’t have all of the info of what happened, but I would say yes, this mom was way out of line. We are the role models for our kids and sometimes, you just have to step back from an emotional response to be te bigger person.

September 7, 2008 at 7:05 pm
(4) Laurie says:

Oh my goodness, that is crazy!!! I work with a Midget Football League and of course the parents get upset when they dont get what they want but to have a parent hit another in front of that many children is nuts!

September 8, 2008 at 9:57 am
(5) Michelle says:

Are you serious? How can we even ask if this mother was out of control? Absolutely when can physical violence ever, EVER be an answer to any problem?

September 8, 2008 at 1:27 pm
(6) What? says:

Yes, out of control. Why in the world wouldn’t they let her daughter cheer for her broher’s team. That is crazy too. It’s little league for goodness sake.

September 9, 2008 at 2:40 pm
(7) maryanna says:

right know we are haveing problem with our leader she said out loud that my daughter and another team mate have bad attutude, well her two daughters are a coach and a team mate along with co-leader, to make a short story we unorganized and behind on every thing, when a mom came to me and told me about what was said i was very anger and we were at a game, BUT i kept my cool for my daughter and i email her and TOLD her that i will be talking to her, am her mother so that makes me her eyes and ears. the leader is avoids me, but am here for my daughter and the fun that makes her memory…

December 15, 2008 at 11:14 am
(8) Julie says:

I feel that was very inappropriate behavior. This is a grown women who should know better than to act like that. She sets a bad example for her daughter and for all of the other children at the clinic. If you have a problem with something dont go on a rampage, stay calm because in the end it is a better way to resolve problems and no one gets hurt. I can understand she was mad, but i think she could have controlled herself in a more adult manner.

February 26, 2009 at 2:58 pm
(9) Alisha says:

I don’t know how you could side with this woman at all. Being physically violent over such a little thing. I think that you need to take things like this to teach your children. We don’t always get what we want and there are disappointments in life, kids who are taught this have a higher advantage than those kids whose parents try to get them everything they want. She didn’t cheer on that team but that doesn’t mean she will never cheer again. Lets all teach our kids things rather than try to give them everything by throwing childish fits or worse being physically violent.

June 25, 2009 at 2:32 am
(10) Jenna says:

Physical violence makes this a big NO NO. She was wrong. But why in the heck wasn’t the daughter put on her brother’s cheer team to begin with? I would think that would be the way the cheer teams were formed anyway.