1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Ilovetocheerlead writes "My school's cheer team has to pay $300 for their things. I get the price if they got to keep the uniform, but they don't! I think it's stupid. Please post your opinions and comments."

Is the cost of cheerleading too high?
Sound Off in the Cheerleading Forum
Cost Saving Tips for Cheerleading
Fundraising for Cheerleading

Comments

July 2, 2009 at 2:57 pm
(1) I says:

That is nothing. My squad has to pay a little over 500 and we don’t get to keep our uniforms either. Sometimes the cost comes from camp.

July 2, 2009 at 4:49 pm
(2) Leah says:

thats whay competitive cheer ROCKS! cuz you pay about the same but get to keep it all!

July 5, 2009 at 6:15 pm
(3) cheergirlcp says:

For my middle school you had to pay $450 and you get to keep everything (because it’s customized) and you go to camp for a week, etc. That’s reasonable, but for the high school you have to pay $1200. That’s why I dont cheer anymore because it’s too much!

July 5, 2009 at 6:24 pm
(4) Anna says:

My squad costs $500 a year – and we don’t get to keep our uniforms OR our poms either. A big expense is camp. Another big expense is team tumbling lessons. Also included in that is things like bows, a fee to use the uniform (like a deposit…so if you mess it up, they can get it cleaned), shoes, bag, warm-ups, and other things. That doesn’t even include team-wear…like the fun t-shirts and sweatshirts. Its expensive, but I don’t think its unusual…and honestly, its necessary. Most schools don’t fund cheerleading equally (its like that at my college) and its an expensive sport!

July 5, 2009 at 6:52 pm
(5) tess says:

most all star teams cost $100-200 for tuition PER MONTH. tumbling privates $20-30 PER SESSION(1 session per week). around $800-1000 per season for travel. $300 for uniforms, $10-20 for bows, $80-100 for shoes, $20-50 for warmup gear. sooo stop complaining! thats like the cost of soccer or anyother rec sport.

July 5, 2009 at 9:38 pm
(6) SchoolSpirit says:

My middle school had me pay $236.We got to keep the uniforms but,that only included top,skirt,spankies,shoes,pom poms,and shocks.We used some warmup pants from a couple years back.

July 6, 2009 at 8:39 am
(7) Taylor says:

My high school cher cost $1,050 and my family is having a hard time tryin to get the mney together

July 6, 2009 at 11:02 am
(8) Coach says:

I don’t understand the costs at all. I got slack for charging my girls for lollies, liners and socks, $36.00, we did one competition $100.00. Thank god my daughter doesn’t cheer for these teams……

July 7, 2009 at 6:01 pm
(9) Sierra says:

you guys are barely paying anything in all star cheerleading you have to pay almost $100 a month!! comp fees are almost $600 all together our sneakers are $75.00 and our uniform is almost $235! you guys are barely paying anything!!

July 8, 2009 at 1:41 am
(10) kristin says:

Yall aren’t paying anything compared to what I had to pay I’m on the JV squad at my 2A school and I had to pay $1,009<<<not a typo!!!

July 8, 2009 at 3:23 pm
(11) Cup Cake says:

Mmmm, well I’m a junior in highschool. And cheerleading costs a little over $5oo. We get to keep everything we pay for. We just don’t go to camp. So, it’s all good (:

July 8, 2009 at 4:46 pm
(12) coupers4 says:

$300 is very reasonable for high school cheer. Costs are usually closer to $500. Cheer shoes alone are usually $75 and the warm-ups range btwn $100-$150 (those should be kept by the cheerleader). Unless the obivious makes up part of your fee…camp, choreography or tumbling lessons…most schools “rent” uniforms to accumulate income over 2-3 years in order to afford purchasing new ones after that time. Also, costs such as bus rental (even if using a yellow school buses) and high school competitions are built into the per cheerleader charge. Most school sports range in the $$$hundreds, even at the freshman level. The school system is not going to absorb one penny for students to participate. Plan for minimal expenses throughout the school year as well such as the end of season banquet, senior gifts and snacks for the cheerleaders for away games.

September 27, 2009 at 6:26 pm
(13) mckayla says:

thats a great price for cheerleading. at my school we pay bout $1,500 and we dont get to keep our uniforms either. but in the end it is so worth it. we get bags bows shoes socks tubling classes camp plus our coach is always buying us cool stuff just for fun but it doesnt come out of our fund. so no $300 isnt that bad

November 13, 2009 at 2:02 pm
(14) Stacey C says:

Do something about it. That’s crazy if your going to a public school. Try suggesting fund raising or get booster clubs to support you. Also suggest lower priced cheer products. I know this one website that has cheaper uniforms because they’re in-stock instead of custom and they’re a direct retailer (no third party so cheaper prices for the same brands).

Here’s the link

Good luck!

November 21, 2009 at 4:29 pm
(15) Katie says:

At my high school we paid a minimum of about 1500 we had 2 uniforms all of our practice clothes a week of camp warm ups a duffel bag plus it covered all of the competition fees including state. it was really expensive but we always ordered from nike. our coaches also had a corporate account that saved a little money. it was alot but it was worth it…some of my best memories! and we looked good!

March 26, 2010 at 11:55 am
(16) lauren says:

umm.. just a little information here. At my high school i pay $3,000 a year.. so BAM!

March 29, 2010 at 11:59 pm
(17) CheerGirly5 says:

My total this year was $687 and a $100 uniform fee to which I don’t keep the uniform.. I would LOVE to pay $300 for cheer!!

October 16, 2010 at 9:39 pm
(18) Melissa says:

summer costs: cheer camp 150 per week plus choreography camp (2 day event) another 150 plus two weekly team practices 70 per month plus 150 per month for competition fees plus uniforms, shoes, practice wear t shirts slumber parties, back packs, tote bags, team parents asking for more fore goodie bags…. its basically a mortgage payment….

March 30, 2011 at 11:27 pm
(19) cassie123 says:

ya, ive been wanting to try out for cheer 4 yrs know and im going 2 highskool next year but im kind of scared of the price! What do you think i can do to minimize the price?

May 29, 2011 at 1:03 pm
(20) cc says:

i would say to get sponcers!! like yr family members and close friends and see how much money u can raise and if u can have lots of yard sales my neighbor did fr his sonstrack in high school!! this prices just to do someting u love like cheering in high school is rediculous we shouldnt have to put out that much money. my lil one is a 3rd grade cheerleader an wants to continue in middle school and make the team in high school so at that price a year i guess i gotta start saving NOWWW!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2011 at 10:58 pm
(21) Cassie says:

Here at my school we pay $750 for the uniform $300 for cheer camp and $250 for competition…..plus we get kicked out if we miss 1 football game!! and all our money isnt refunded!..cheer is really expensive

October 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm
(22) Alexis says:

honestly , that’s nothing. for middle school we paid about $500 , then when I got to high school it end up being about $1300 a year. Sophmore year I mande the switched to competitive elite cheer and you are looking at 2500 a year just for gym fees- that does not include uniforms, warmups, ect. or travel and hotel fees.

November 22, 2011 at 12:00 pm
(23) Lisa says:

No thats not anything compared to my school you have to pay 1,600 for uniform,shoes,bow,bag,and more. but thats not all. by the end of the year you would have been paying up to 2000 dollars in all

January 13, 2012 at 12:45 am
(24) Cheer says:

That’s Nothing. My 7th Grade Year They Made Us Pay $950 And Well Yeah We Kept Everything And It Wasn’t Even Worth It Cause We Would Like Never Practice We Used What We Knew. We Went To Camp But Just For 2 Days Because A Hurricane Came And Yeah We Inly Cheered Football Season And That It

January 17, 2012 at 10:32 pm
(25) Allie says:

I have to pay 800-900 i just dont understand y so much but we do keep everything