Toe Touch Drills:
- Start off by stretching out. Make sure you are warmed up before you actually throw any jumps to avoid pulling or straining muscles.
- Next do 3 sets of leg lifts: sit in a straddle on the floor, hands are behind you for support (hands should be on the floor, under or near your tail), slightly lean back and lift both legs (about a foot off the floor), keep your legs STRAIGHT, WITHOUT your legs touching the floor lift them, count to 10, then release them for a breather and repeat. Do a total of 3 sets. Leg lifts are hard but it will strengthen your legs and improve the height of your jumps!
- After leg lifts we do side high kicks: arms in a T motion, with right leg kick 5 times, breather for for 5 seconds, switch to left leg 5 times.
- Ready to begin: Throw your toe touch, count 5-6-7-8, throw another, then repeat. (I make my squad do 10)
When you are throwing your toe touch:
- Make sure you have a good prep (feet and legs together, bending knees, keeping your back straight). Really concentrate on using the muscles in your legs when prepping, after all that is how you get off the ground in the first place.
- When you are in your toe touch position (in the air) DON'T reach for your legs. Arms should be in a 'T'. Bring your legs to your arms, not arms to your legs!
- Keep your legs straight. Bent knees make a toe touch look sloppy.
- POINT YOUR TOES, and when landing, make sure your feet are together... DON'T FORGET TO SMILE! :)
Do you have a question about Cheerleading? Need some help with a jump or stunt? Be sure to stop by the About Cheerleading forum to visit with Donna or ask her your Cheerleading questions in our Ask a Pro Cheerleader folder.
About Donna Williams:
- Former NFL Cheerleader
- UCA All Star Cheerleader
- NCA All American Cheerleader
- NCA Danz All Star Danzer
- UDA All American Dancer
- Top Gun Funk Award
- PHS National Dance Champs (ASC) 1997
- UK Wildcat Danzers 3rd placeNCA Danz Nationals 1998
- Choreographer for AGS (Allen, KY) 7 time back to back county champs and 4th place at NCA Nationals 2001.