The decision has been made, now the work begins. Here are some tips to prepare you for the big day:
- Talk to the Cheerleading coach/advisor. Find out what the requirements will be. Get any paperwork you'll need to fill out and know your deadlines.
- Talk to present Cheerleaders or previous Cheerleaders. They can be an excellent source for information and advice. Visit our Cheerleading forum and ask questions there. You'll find lots of good advice and encouragement from Cheerleaders and coaches. You can also share your experiences and help others.
- Get in shape. If you're not already on a good workout program, start one. You'll need strength, stamina, and flexibility to make a good Cheerleader. Check our Cheerleading Health and Fitness subject for workout programs, nutrition, and Cheerleading exercises.
- Enroll in some gymnastics, tumbling, and dance classes, if at all possible. Cheerleading involves all of these to some extent.
- Learn more. Ask questions, read books, watch videos, use the Internet. Never be afraid to say "I don't know" or "I don't understand", and "Can you show me?".
- Practice and practice perfectly. The only way to improve your ability is through lots of practice. Practice your motions, your cheers, your jumps and don't forget to practice your facial expressions. Use a video camera to tape yourself, then watch it to catch any mistakes. Practice in front of a mirror or in front of other people. Strive to make your techniques perfect. Mentally visualize yourself executing everything perfectly.