|Cheerleading Fun Facts and History of Cheerleading|
- At the University of Kentucky the average Cheerleader is 5'0" - 5'1" and weighs 97 pounds. See Cheerleading Health and Fitness. *Special thanks to McKenna for submitting this fun fact.
- About 98% of all female cheerleaders were former gymnasts, compared to just 20% of all male cheerleaders. See Cheerleading Gymnastics and Tumbling. *Special thanks to Rachel for submitting this fun fact.
- Lila McCann, country music star, performed Cheerleading routines for the Queen Of England. More on Celebrity Cheerleaders.
- There are at least four million Cheerleaders in thirty-one countries. See International Cheerleaders.
- Cheerleading is over 100 years old. On November 2, 1898, Johnny Campbell lead the first cheerleaders at an University of Minnesota football game. History of Cheerleading.
- In the beginning all Cheerleaders were men. For Men.
- 97% of all cheerleaders are female, however, almost 50% of collegiate Cheerleaders are male. College Cheerleaders.
- 12% of Cheerleaders are aged 5 to 13 years and 12% are dancers.
- 83% of all Cheerleaders have a 'B' grade point average or better. Homework Tips from our Parenting Teens Guide.
- 62% of Cheerleaders are involved in a second sport. About's Sports Channel.
- The average Cheerleading squad size in Britain is 18.4 (per club) and the average age is 15. Of the 85 known squads in Britain almost eighty are British Cheerleading Association members. Cheerleading Associations.
- The Cheerleading capital of the US is Texas. Texas is also where a mother was accused of hiring a hitman to kill her daughter’s rival in competition. Cheerleading Competitions.
- Some of the most common Cheerleading injuries are broken arms and busted lips. Jumps and Stunts.
- In the 1900's megaphones came into play and the Pom Pons were invented in the 1930's. Shopping and Supplies.
- 80% of schools in the US have Cheerleading squads. The most popular sport for Cheerleading is football. About's Pro Football Site.
- Circulation for American Cheerleader magazine is estimated at 200,000. Cheerleading Magazines.
If you know of any interesting fun facts about Cheerleading, send me an email.