Basketball is a fast paced game and it's important that the cheerleaders pay attention to what's going on and when to cheer and not cheer. Below you'll find some tips on the correct way to cheer at a basketball game. (We also have How to Cheer at a Football Game
and more cheer lists
Time Required: Hour and a Half
- Arrive early and go over any new cheers or routines your squad may have. Check out our library of basketball cheers for new ideas:
Basketball Cheers, Vol. 1
Basketball Cheers, Vol. 2
Basketball Cheers, Vol. 3
Basketball Cheers, Vol. 4
Basketball Cheers, Vol. 5
Basketball Cheers, Vol. 6
Basketball Cheers, Vol. 7
Basketball Cheers, Vol. 8
This is the perfect time to warm up your voice and to stretch. Greet the other team's cheerleaders and show them around if they need it.
- Start the game with an "Hello" cheer if your squad has one. This is also a good time to introduce the other team's cheerleaders if that is something your squad does.
- Stay off of the court and out of the way. Keep your attention focused on the court and game action. Basketball is comprised of an offense and defense so be sure you are saying the correct type of cheer. Offense is when your team has the ball and defense is when your opponent has the ball. You should also keep your motions sharp throughout your cheering.
- Never cheer during a free throw or when a player is down. If an injury occurs, stay focused on the player (game) and clap when they get up.
- Basketball gyms can get very crowded so pay attention to where you are and what is going on around you. Also, the floor of the gym is a hard surface. You should keep safety in mind if you do any stunt building.
- Face the fans at times and work on getting them involved (crowd involving cheers) in your cheers and chants. Try to derail any offensive cheering or sayings in the stands.
- Take breaks, if you need them, between quarters. Do not eat or drink (how to make an energy drink) on the court.
- Keep your core values on safety, integrity, respect and sportsmanship. Do not socialize too much and show respect for the players and fans.
- When the game ends, be sure to gather all your stuff.
- Pay attention to the game.
- Stay off the court and out of the way.
- Know when to cheer and when not to.
- The fans look to you for guidance, so always show good sportsmanship.
What You Need
- A Cheerleading Squad
- List of Cheers
- Poms, Megaphones and/or Signs